Using storytelling helps the brand connect with its followers. Having a blog or just sharing short posts on Facebook are two easy ways to go. The best stories connect the brand with the readers’ emotions and show them what else the brand and their ‘people’ do besides creating and selling products. Writing a story isn’t necessarily complicating or difficult. Coming up with ideas? Maybe so, but the writing is usually as easy as sitting someone down and telling them face-to-face. Conversational.
Here are five ways you could come up with some creative ideas for your story:
- Keep a close eye on the timing: is something happening outside the brand (in the real world) that is easily linked to the brand or what’s going on within the brand?
- Steal inspiration from your own product: how was it designed? Who designed it? Why? What’s its story?
- Introduce your staff: talk about the people behind the work, behind the ideas and behind the successes of the brand.
- Share some insider ‘secrets’: how does what work? Share a little of what only the ‘insiders’ know about. What’s the real reason behind some of the mysterious decisions management made?
- Ask your customers/followers to share their stories: once you’ve gathered enough from them, work with their stories to summarise the discussion.
These are the basic and easy ways to kick-start your storytelling. Once you start writing story after story you will receive feedback that can be used to improve the next.
What other basic ways do you use to come up with story ideas?